Different Types of Kratom Strains and Veins and Their Effects
Regardless of your experience with kratom, whether you’re a new or a seasoned expert, understanding the different kratom types is essential to your overall experience. If you’re looking for the types of kratom explained, you’ve come to the right place.
Kratom comes in many strains that each have unique, distinctive effects — some strains are stimulating while others are relaxing. Payless Kratom will break down everything you need to know including what the different types of kratom strains are and when to use each one in our kratom strain guide below.
How The Different Types of Kratom Are Classified
So, what are the different types of kratom strains, and how are they classified? The majority of kratom strains are classified using color and a geographic area, as both of these features impact the effects of the strain.
Let’s start with strain color, as it’s the most impactful feature. Kratom comes from trees, and as they mature, the natural chemicals that are responsible for kratom’s effects referred to as kratom alkaloids, shift. This results in the veins gradually changing from white to green to red.
Geography is another factor in kratom classification. The geographic area in the kratom strain’s name refers to the origin from which the strain came. Regions have different ecological conditions and agricultural practices that can cause subtle but impactful differences in the kratom crop. While these differences may not impact the color itself, they can result in a unique twist that will change the way in which the strain works.
Kratom Vein Colors And Their Effects
The strain color determines the effects that you’ll experience, and with so many kratom types and effects, we always recommend starting with research to choose the right color for your desired results.
White Vein Kratom
So, what is white kratom used for? White vein kratom, known for its uplifting and energizing effects, is an ideal starting point for beginners.
- Features: White vein kratom can be harvested while the leaves of the tree are still young, leaving the veins white.
- Potency: In terms of its alkaloid profile, white vein kratom, harvested as soon as the kratom tree has started maturing, is high in mitragynine, the alkaloid that may give the energy boost and very low in 7-hydroxymitragynine.
- Effects: May provide an energy boost.
- Who Should Buy White Vein Kratom? White kratom is best for beginners. This is the best type of kratom for daytime use as it may offer a mood boost, gives energy, and may help users focus.
Be mindful that some users get a little too much energy from white vein kratom. Make sure that you consider whether or not you’re sensitive to caffeine jitters before using this strain. If you are hoping for a strain that isn’t quite as energizing, try one with more relaxing properties.
Rated on a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being the highest, here are how the different white kratom strains compare:
|White Bali Kratom||5||3||3||4||5|
|White Borneo Kratom||4||5||2||3||4|
|White Indo Kratom||4||4||4||3||3|
|White Maeng Da Kratom||4||4||4||3||4|
|White Thai Kratom||5||3||1||1||3|
Green Vein Kratom
Green vein kratom is another popular kratom strain known for its potentially relaxing and energy-balancing effects.
- Features: Its alkaloid profile contains balanced mitragynine in addition to 7-hydroxymitragynine. Green kratom is typically dried indoors in an air-conditioned room and then moved outside for the rest of the drying process.
- Potency: Many turn to green vein kratom for the potential assistance with focusing or daytime pain relief. These strains are taken from the middle of the kratom tree’s maturity period, resulting in a balanced level of its two primary alkaloids. Due to the harvesting timeline, the green vein strain is known for its “middle of the road” side effects that are appealing to both new and seasoned kratom users compared to different veins of kratom.
- Effects: So, what does green kratom do? This strain may provide a gentle energizing effect without the negatives of jitters. The regional differences associated with green vein kratom help to impact the effects toward a more relaxed, calming energy.
- Who should buy green vein kratom? Those looking for potentially calming effects while achieving energy without caffeine-like jitters.
|Green Borneo Kratom||4||3||5||3||3|
|Green Indo Kratom||4||4||2||2||3|
|Green Maeng Da Kratom||5||4||4||2||4|
|Green Malay Kratom||5||3||5||3||4|
|Green Thai Kratom||4||5||3||3||5|
Red Vein Kratom
Another type of kratom explained is red vein kratom, taken at the latest point in the maturity cycle of the kratom tree. But what is red kratom used for? Let’s break it down.
- Features: Red vein kratom strains are processed with lots of sunlight or a UV lamp to assist with the drying process. From there, they are fermented to create a variation of the strain, bentuangie kratom.
- Potency: One of the more mellow of the different kinds of kratom, red kratom isn’t typically regarded as a stimulant, making it more attractive to new users.
- Effects: This is one of the best kratom strains for potentially helping to relieve pain and relax. Its alkaloid profile consists of moderate mitragynine and high 7-hydroxymitragynine, which is responsible for the potential relaxation and has pain-relieving and sedative effects. Many use red vein kratom as it may serve as both a sleeping aid and pain relief at night.
- Who should you buy red kratom? Users report opting for kratom red vein to help combat anxiety and instill a sense of calm after a long day. Those who seek kratom for pain relief typically report the best results with red vein kratom. It may also be taken in smaller doses to create a more balanced effect.
|Red Bali Kratom||2||3||5||5||4|
|Red Borneo Kratom||2||3||3||4||5|
|Red Indo Kratom||2||3||4||4||3|
|Red Maeng Da Kratom||5||5||5||4||4|
|Red Malay Kratom||3||4||5||5||4|
|Red Sumatra Kratom||3||5||3||5||5|
|Red Thai Kratom||4||3||4||2||3|
Yellow Kratom Blend
Yellow vein kratom is one of the more unique kratom colors and strains due to its mix of various others combined. When it comes to what are the effects of kratom in yellow strains, here’s what you need to know.
- Features: The yellow kratom blend does not derive from a specific leaf, and it is a mixture of red, white, and green vein kratom strains blended together. This is where the strain gets its name.
- Potency: Many users note that the yellow kratom blend is very high-quality due to its unique drying process and offers well-rounded side effects.
- Effects: Although this kratom type has been around for decades, it is becoming increasingly popular with today’s kratom users. It is notable for its mixture of potentially calming and motivating side effects without swaying too heavily one way or another. Keep in mind that all kratom mixes vary from vendor to vendor, so it is difficult to find a strain that is the same across brands.
- Who Should Buy Yellow Strain Kratom? With mild side effects, this kratom leaf is ideal for those new to kratom use. It may help kickstart the day with motivation, while potentially calming.
|Yellow Borneo Kratom||3||3||3||2||3|
|Yellow Indo Kratom||3||4||4||4||4|
Best Kratom Strains and Their Effects
With so many different kratom strains, you may not know the specific kratom differences and which one is best for your needs. Here’s a bit more context on the different kinds of kratom and their effects to help you decide.
Red Bali kratom has mood-enhancing and relaxing side effects, making it one of the most popular regional varieties on the market today. Although red Bali kratom strains aren’t particularly energizing, they’re an excellent choice for those who want several positive aspects of kratom in one simple strain. If you’re new to kratom, this could be an ideal starting point.
Another different strain of kratom is referred to as Borneo kratom, and it is known for its high content of mitragynine. This is the alkaloid that’s responsible for the energizing effects associated with white vein kratom. Borneo kratom is ideal for uplifting use in the morning or for those who want the effects of green or white strains with an added “up” feeling.
Indo kratom refers to the types of kratom that originate from Indonesia and can be white, red, or green in color. While this strain is known to be less stimulating compared to others, it’s often used to help calm the nerves or boost the overall mood of the user. Indo kratom varieties offer the overall wellness effects that users seek.
Thai kratom varieties often have energizing and mood-enhancing effects that users love. These strains are associated with more energy, focus, and a positive mood. Stories suggest that these varieties were popular with Thai manual laborers and workers who had to endure long workdays. Opt for this type of kratom if you’re looking to balance out your mood and feel better overall.
Another different strain of kratom is referred to as Malay kratom, stemming from Indonesia. These strains are known for their balanced, mild effects that combine the best of both the white and red strains. If you’re looking for a balanced, anytime-of-day type of product, you can opt for a Malay kratom strain.
Sumatra kratom is one of the strongest types of kratom that stems from the Sumatra island in Indonesia. Unlike other types of kratom, Sumatra cannot be jammed into the standard categories, and it comes in both a red and white strain. It offers pronounced effects in a potent package, appealing to many users for its high concentration and full-body experience.
Maeng Da kratom varieties stem from Thai kratom, but they have a remarkable potency. Roughly translated, “Maeng Da” means “pimp grade,” reflecting the fact that the farmers specify Maeng Da as one of the top-tier crops. It’s one of the strongest types of kratom, so new users should try it with caution. For more experienced users, Maeng Da is one of the best kratom options on the market.
How to Choose the Right Strain?
Now that you know the answer to “what are the different strains of kratom”, it’s time to dive deeper into kratom 101 things you need to know in order to choose the right strain for you.
Even with all the knowledge on the approved kratom strains and leaf veins, it can still be really overwhelming to navigate the kratom options. Since each kratom color effects are different, even within the color vein itself, there is a range of potential effects you will feel. So, how do you actually narrow it down, not only to the color of kratom, but to the specific strain? Here’s how it’s done.
Be Specific with Your Needs
It’s hard to find the right kratom strain if you don’t know exactly what issue you’re trying to address. So, when navigating the different strains, be sure to get super specific with your needs. As you try different strains, write down the effects you feel so you can adjust moving forward.
Find Information On Trusted Sites
One of the best ways to explore kratom is backed with research. The best place to find accurate information is on professional websites dedicated to the kratom topic. This will be great to turn to when you are deciding between strains or have questions.
Get Recommendations from a Trusted Vendor
If you really can’t decide on a kratom strain, you can call a reputable vendor to speak with their customer service. Any trusted company will have educated employees who will be happy to guide your kratom exploration.
Try a Sample Pack
At some kratom stores and online vendors, there will be options to buy smaller amounts to try a few different strains before fully investing in one. This is great for those new to kratom use who are trying to narrow down which strain will work best for them.
Mixing Kratom Strains Best Practices
Now that we’ve gone through some different strains of kratom, we know that it’s possible to mix kratom strains to achieve the desired effects. Over time, the more experienced kratom users may become desensitized to the effects as their body adjusts over time. This is why mixing kratom varieties can help increase the potency of the strain and keep users feeling the effects.
Before you mix kratom strains together, make sure you know what you’re doing! Not all strains complement each other in the best way, as a single strain may have up to 40 different alkaloids. You won’t want to impede a delicate balance and produce unwanted side effects such as an abnormal amount of energy or deep sedation.
Here are some ways to mix your kratom effectively:
- Mix different strains with different vein colors such as Red Borneo with Green Malay.
- Mix different vein colors with the same strain, such as Green Maeng Da with White Maeng Da.
- Mix the same vein color with different strains such as Green Indo and Green Malay.
The above should give you a strong foundation for how you mix and complement the kratom’s effects.
When used properly, kratom can be an ideal part of your daily routine! If you have questions about kratom or you’re interested in exploring some products, make sure to browse our selection at Payless Kratom and contact us! All of our products are top-tier, and we offer free shipping on orders over $100!